Fancy a challenge here in the Brecon Beacons this summer? Here are three events happening in June you can take part in.
1. Bwlch With Altitude-4th June 2016
Bwlch with Altitude is a family friendly navigational challenge in the Black Mountains region of the Brecon Beacons National Park, which can be conducted either by walking or on your mountain bike. It is a team event (minimum 2; maximum 8 members per team), whilst navigating the routes you will have to answer some basic questions and collect mementos and there will also be a prize for the best photograph taken during the challenge.
There are 3 Challenges for you to choose from, they are:
- A 15 mile circular mountain bike route – ideal training for the Brecon Beast. Entry fee £8 adult & £4 Junior (Early Bird booking) the cost will be higher if booked on the day of the event (£10 adult & £5 Junior). This route requires entrants to have some experience – it contains steep ascents/descents over rough terrain. Riders will have to wear a safety helmet.
- A 12 mile circular walk – ideal training for WAAT4. Entry fee £8 adult & £4 Junior (Early Bird booking*) the cost will be higher if booked on the day of the event (£10 adult & £5 Junior).
- A 5 mile circular walk – ideal for families of all ages. Entry fee £4 adult & £2 Junior (Early Bird booking) the cost will be higher if booked on the day of the event (£6 adult & £4 Junior). A family ticket is also available (2 adults & 2 juniors) for £10 (Early Bird booking) the cost will be higher if booked on the day of the event £15.
There will be donations made to the following:
- Brecon Mountain Rescue Team
- Llangynidr Primary School
- Llangorse Primary School
On the day Bwlch Village Hall will be open from 9am, refreshments will be available.
Challenge start times:
- Mountain Bike Route – 10am
- Long walking route – 10.15am
- Short walking route – 11am
Early bird online booking is now open!
* To take advantage of the Early Bird offer, click here register online before Tuesday 31st May 2016.
2. The WAAT 4 Challenge- Jun 18, 2016
The WAAT4 Challenge is a prestigious navigation event in Wales’ beautiful Brecon Beacons National Park. Teams from all over the UK take part every year.
Its reputation is growing quickly and it features in the walking calendar for such events. In 2015 more than 500 competitors took part over either 30km or 40km Challenges which included South Wales’ highest peak – Pen y fan.
The event takes place on the third Saturday in June and has raised £200,000 for many good causes and charities such as Brecon Mountain Rescue, Wales Air Ambulance, Teenage Cancer Trust, PC Rathbones Blue Light Fund and Help for Heroes.
Whatever your ability, you are welcome to enjoy the 40k route, or a shorter 30k route at your own pace. We want everyone to enjoy taking part by completing the course whilst taking in some of the best views in the Brecon Beacons.
Unlike most outdoor events, we offer a whole day experience which spills over into the evening with a BBQ and presentations in a marquee at the start/ finish point. We also have a fully licensed bar and entertainment. Relax here and re live your achievements of the day over a glass or two!
So far the event has raised £200,000. Help us make WAAT4 2016 even bigger and more successful. More here
3. Navigation Training-Silver NNAS Award– June 18th 09:30 – 19th June 2016 16:00
The NNAS Silver Award training and assessment course is designed to give people the skills to navigate in the countryside using the skills acquired at the Bronze level along with the additional skills required to navigate to features and places some distance from paths and tracks. Accurate compass work is required and the ability to use appropriate navigation techniques to go cross country, e.g. choosing an appropriate attack point. This course has a minimum of 12 hours of training, including assessment over a distance of 5-8 kilometres in terrain which allows for the demonstration of appropriate skills.
This NNAS accredited course is run by Manzoku, a local company based in the Brecon Beacons.
Length: 5 – 8 kilometres.
Venue: The Mountain Centre, Libanus, LD3 8ER
Cost: £110.00 per person – Spaces Limited.
Booking essential on 01874 623366.