|On the 25th of January each year, people all over Wales celebrate St Dwynwen’s Day, the Welsh patron saint of lovers. A Welsh love spoon is traditionally given as a Saint Dwynwen’s day gift.
Dwynwen lived during the 5th century and fell in love with a prince called Maelon Dafodrill but, unfortunately her father had already arranged that she should marry someone else. Dwynwen was so upset she could not marry Maelon that she begged God to make her forget him. After falling asleep, Dwynwen was visited by an angel, who appeared carrying a sweet potion designed to erase all memory of Maelon and turn him into a block of ice.
God then gave three wishes to Dwynwen. Her first wish was that Maelon be thawed; her second that God meet the hopes and dreams of true lovers; and third, that she should never marry. All three were fulfilled, and as a mark of her thanks, Dwynwen devoted herself to God’s service for the rest of her life.
Traditionally a Welsh Love spoon is given as a Saint Dwynwen’s day gift, read on to find all the gifts you can give and what events and special offers you can enjoy!
Buy the food lover in your life a gift from Black Mountains Smokery, a family-run gourmet food business based in the Park. Why not purchase a Valentine’s Food Lovers Hamper for £49.00, or choose any of their hampers to send to your loved one enclosing your special message from £40 – £400. Perhaps simply choose their award winning Smoked Salmon to enjoy with a champagne breakfast.
Take a pick from the many selections of hampers Authentically Welsh have put together containing all Welsh produce! Their Crickhowell Cracking Hamper will introduce you to some of Crickhowell’ delicious local artisan foods, or why not let your loved one indulge in a Luxury Welsh Food Hamper bursting with appetising and inviting foods.
If you’re stuck for ideas of a special gift to give this St Dwynwens and Valentines day, then head to The Old Railway Line Garden Centre, and visit the florist who can make you a bespoke bouquet from their extensive range of cut flowers for a romantic gift to a loved one.
Order a gift box of ‘simply scrumptious’ cider made from 100% apple juice at Apple County Cider or take your pick from Brecon Brewing large range of beers.
Have a day you wont forget in a hurry with Hawk Adventures who can offer you a variety of activities such as power kiting, canyoning and gorge walking.
Cantref Riding Centre
Celebrate with your loved one at Foyles this Valentine’s Day! with our indulgent four-course menu Valentine’s Weekend Dinner Menu on the evening Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th February.
Why not make a night of it?
The Plough Valentine’s Romantic Candle Lit Dinner, Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th February
All the above for £27.50 per couple
Dining from our à la carte Menu will be charged separately:
Also available will be our specially created Valentines Menu including Scallops, Welsh lamb, rosemary and chocolate fondant and passion fruit tart .
Why not stay the night?
Saturday 13th February
So thats welcome drink, 3 course meal, overnight stay on Saturday 13th February, and full cooked breakfast for 2 people. Just £150 per room
If you’re planning your trip here but haven’t booked anywhere to stay, then click here to find the perfect place for your romantic getaway.
- RT @visitwales: Discover The Wales Way is a new family of three national routes that lead you into the heart of Wales #FindYourEpic https:/… 1 hour ago
- RT @VisitBeacons: Vulgar Earth Exhibition- a timber giant, meta- mechanical sculpture, commentary, artistry and more at @Brycheiniog! It's… 1 hour ago
- RT @VisitBeacons: The weather is on the change! Forecast is for sunshine in Wales ☀️ So come and explore the #BreconBeacons National Park.… 1 hour ago
- RT @VisitBeacons: Forecast is looking good for the next few days. ☀️Get outside and enjoy our National Park. Thanks for sharing this photo… 1 hour ago
- Forecast is looking good for the next few days. ☀️Get out and enjoy our National Park. Thanks for sharing this photo @joe_bloggs7911 use #VisitBreconBeacons when posting your photos.Great shot @carpediemjames thanks for sharing with us! Who’s been out exploring the #BreconBeacons this weekend? Share you photos with us by using #VisitBreconBeaconsLovely shot @stephenljohnson thanks for sharing with us. Use #VisitBreconBeacons when posting your photos.