Today we bring you a gift from Black Mountains Smokery, the Beacons very own smokery! They have provided us with some tips on filling up your larder in preparation for Christmas and also some really lovely canapé recipes. To top it off, they’ve offered one lucky person a voucher to spend in their shop.
Quick and easy larder stock up list from Black Mountains Smokery
Black Mountains Smokery have put together a list of “must have” ingredients for the festive larder….
- Christmas Ham and Smoked Salmon *
- A selection of smoked fish, meats and cheese to make your festive celebrations easy and luxurious. You will be able to magic up surprise starters, produce a limitless supply of nibbles*
- Smoked Streaky Bacon to wrap up your turkey while it roasts. *
- A selection of Relishes and Jellies*
- Blini, Crostini, Mini Oatcakes – ideal for instant canapés!
- Crème fraiche & cream cheese for ‘letting down’ sauces and making dips.
- Garnish Galore! Spring onions, cherry tomatoes, chillies, herbs and nuts.
- Fresh fruit; oranges, figs & mango work well with smoked foods.
- Don’t forget lemons and black pepper!
- Walnuts, Pine Nuts; roasted and put in a salad are always a winner.
- Plenty of salad – endive and coleslaw ingredients last longer – to save you going shopping again and again!
- Black Mountains Smokery Welsh Dragon Sausages to spice up those Christmas leftovers. *
- Naturally Smoked Haddock for a soothing fishpie or kedgeree *
- A selection of Trealy Charcuterie* as a starter or light lunch with caramelised red onion or feta and olives.
- Extra Virgin Olive and Rapeseed Oil, Balsamic vinegar and Lemon Oil *
Top TIP – all items marked with an asterisk * are available from Black Mountains Smokery, either online www.smoked-food.com or over the phone call 01873 811566
Smoked Fish Blini
Buy or make mini buckwheat pancakes. Serve them warm with a dollop of crème fraiche and a generous sliver of our Smoked or Oak Roasted Salmon, Smoked Trout or Gravadlax. Garnish with dill leaves.
If you don’t have blini pancakes use crostini or mini oatcakes. For variety flavour the soured cream with Dill Sauce and garnish with quail’s egg.
Smoked Fish Dip or Pate
Blitz a pack of Smoked Mackerel, Smoked Trout or Oak Roasted Salmon with a tub of cream cheese. Add lemon juice and black pepper to taste. Loosen with single cream if necessary. For variety add a pinch of paprika or a little horseradish. Serve with bread sticks and crudite.
Smoked Chicken & Spiced Apple Crostini
Top crostini, (I like the mildly chilli ones) with some Spiced Apple or Crabapple Jelly and a slice of Smoked Chicken. Garnish with candied apple peel or roasted pine nuts or walnuts. For variety serve some with Smoked Duck.
Smoked Duck & Sweet Chilli Crostini/ Blini
Mix together Chilli Jam and crème fraiche and spoon onto crostini or blini and top with a thin slice of Smoked Duck. Garnish with chopped spring onion. For variety top some with Smoked Chicken. You can also use mascarpone and Hoisin sauce as shown.
To enter to win the £10 gift voucher, plus free P&P if you order online worth £4.95, click HERE