Our recipe of the month, comes from a chef who is giving a demonstration at the Llandovery Sheep Festival which takes place this up coming weekend (29th – 30th September)!
A demonstration at the Llandovery Sheep Festival on Saturday will tell you all about how you can best utilise local and seasonal produce.
Albondigas con salsa de tomate/Romesco by Suzanne Davies, Norton Manor Cottage
Serves 4 as a tapas
- 225g minced meat, lamb, beef or pork
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan or similar hard cheese
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 3 tomatoes chopped
- 2 tbsp red/white wine
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- A pinch of sugar and salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- (Or 2 tablespoons of Romesco sauce)
- (Romesco contains almonds)
- Fresh thyme to garnish
In a large bowl mix the beef, thyme leaves, cheese and spring onions and season well. Mix well together. Make 12 small firm balls.
Heat the oil in a heavy pan and cook the balls until brown all over for about 5 minutes
To make the sauce:
To the meatballs add the chopped tomatoes, sugar, rosemary and wine with salt and pepper to taste, cook at a simmer until the sauce is pulpy about 15minutes.
Alternatively, open a jar of Romesco sauce and pour around the meat balls and cook until all heated through.
Check seasoning and garnish with a sprig of thyme.