Pancake Day in the Brecon Beacons….
Places serving pancakes…. (please comment if you would like your business added)
The Felin Fach Griffin– Will be serving pancakes just for lunch, flavours on the menu include smoked bacon & Maple syrup.
Here’s a recommended Pancake Day Recipe from Black Mountains Smokery….
This is a lovely recipe ideal for Pancake Day and can also be used St David’s Day which is coming up soon, this lovely welsh recipe comes from our good friend Sarah Clay, who has learned to use laverbread in her cooking from her Mother-in-Law. These blini are absolutely delicious and not at all scary to make or eat. The Carthews are now Laverbread and Cockles converts – please do give this recipe a try!
Feeds 6 – 8 as a starter or canape
- 100g Self Raising Flour
- ( I used a mixture of SR flour and Buckwheat flour with 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar & 1/2 tsp Bicarb of Soda)
- 1 egg
- 5oz milk
- 120gm(small tin) of Laverbread
- sea salt to season (I prefer Halen Mon)
- 220g our traditional Welsh Smoked Salmon
- Creme Fraiche
- 120g (small tin) Cockles
Whisk up batter in a mixing bowl and leave to stand for at least 1/2 hour. Cook on a very hot greased frying pan or similar.
Drop on a spoonful and cook till bubbles appear on top of the blini, then flip over and cook the other side. You can produce drop scone sixed pancakes or smaller bitesize ones – it’s up to you!
Slide off and serve warm or cold with a dollop of Creme Fraiche, a piece of Smoked Salmon, a sprinkle of cockles and a twist of black pepper.
Buy a special Celebratory Pack of Welsh Smoked Salmon, Laverbread and Cockles for just £23.50 delivered.
Other lovely savoury pancake ideas using smoked foods:
- Try adding laverbread to pancake mixture – healthy & delicious – flavour rather like spinach
- Buckwheat crepes with oak roasted salmon and crème fraiche, a little lemon juice & lashings of black pepper
- Smoked salmon, rocket and crème fraiche
- Smoked chicken, fresh tomato and pesto