A small village in the South West of the Brecon Beacons is called Bethlehem, after the birth place of Jesus Christ. It is situated is just opposite Carn Goch lying in the Tywic Valley.
So how did it get it’s name?
Willam Morgan translated the Bible into the Welsh Language in 1588, and translated the Aramaic name for Christs birth into the name we are familiar with. The village chapel was given the same name. Previously known as Dyffryn Ceidrich (valley of Ceidrich), the village came to be known by the name of the chapel, probably during the great Welsh Methodist revival in Wales of the 19th century.
Every year, the village hosts a traditional Christmas market. A major attraction is to post Christmas cards from the village to get a Bethlehem postmark, a practice that first gained national attention in about 1965.